If so, why?
I think open contracting is an important approach in Zambia's healthcare sector. The health sector receives the second highest share of the annual budget to social sectors yet delivery of health services remains poor. OC would allow for scrutinizing of how public funds are used and identifying inefficiencies and areas of resource waste so that maximum funds are channeled towards improving service delivery.
Yes ,open contracting is an important approach due to the following:
- It helps during contract monitoring of resources hence improved service delivery
- Information is accessible throughout the procurement cycle.
- It ensures good use of public funds thus value for money.
- Ensures better business market and supports small and medium enterprises to decide to either compete or not to do so.
- Enables CSOs to collect data and as well are able verify the procurement process.